Type of Drivers Licence Held: Full Motor Car
ABILITIES AND PERSONAL QUALITIES
- Skilled in using database skills to analyse marketing, financial and MI data
- Able to develop data driven strategies for marketing and targeted communications strategies
- Extensive experience of creating reports illustrating financial and activity trends using data, spreadsheets and powerpoint presentations including graphs
- Adept at utilising numerous technologies as required to "get the job done"
- Awareness of most BI metholologies including EDI,ETL and ITIL and the ability to translate other technologies to conform with required data structures
- A confident communicator at all levels, aware of when to use technical language and when to use simple terms.
- Wide range of interests including computers, science fiction and a varied social life.
- Able to communicate with all levels of Clients and colleagues in order to gather information to inform the development of effective management solutions.
- Extensive experience of documenting applications, procedures and writing tutorials
I maintain several open source projects.
- Burn 360, to capture, manipulate and create DVD's from video sources. It is written in perl and Gtk (a graphical toolkit available for Windows and Linux) and can be downloaded from http:://www.sourceforge.net/projects/burn360.
- EPGRec, written in perl-Gtk2 and SQLite. This is a DB driven application to obtain a program list from a digital TV Card and schedule recordings based on the guide. Available at http:://www.sourceforge.net/projects/epgrec.
- Technologies used in these projects include SQL, Graphical programming, XML, perl, hardware programming and linux
- Data Analyst - 15 years using MSAccess, SQLServer, Postgresql, perl as appropriate
- MS Access application design - seven out of ten years
- DBA - extensive experience using SQLServer (inc Transact-SQL) , PostgreSQL,MySQL. This includes stored procedures, views, triggers and most aspects of DB design
Reporting Tools -
- Ms Powerpoint
- Business Objects,
- perl and php
Database Skills -
All these are to a very high level of ability and skill
- Advanced Data Interrogation, reporting and data migration skills
- Ten years experience of designing MS Access applications for financial, marketing and other management purposes
- Creating reports from various data to inform management processes
- Advanced knowledge of creating automated processes enabling other staff to generate reporting information
- User interface design using appropriate technologies
All the above are core competencies utilising both web applications and MS access applications..
- Other - generally very developed IT skills, including configuration and integration
- Technologies Windows - all versions prior to Windows Vista (Client and Server)
- Linux (Red Hat) - Ten Years (four commercially)
- Development languages - perl, vba
- Northgate Housing
Five O levels, 2 A levels (Politics and Economics)
MCP NT Workstation
MCAS Access 2007
Linux Professional Institute Certification Level 1
James Hull and Associates
March 2010 - 13 April 2010
- Working with SQLServer and MS Access to interrogate Data from Dental application, analysing erroneous costings
- Producing detailed financial/management information via automation into Excel and powerpoint
- Utilising extensive use of T-SQL and vba
Ty Hafan, ?St Hilary Court, Copthorne Way, Culverhouse Cross, Cardiff
- Short term role analysing Donorflex system used by charity.
- Investigating how the the system worked and developing strategies to analyse information that could not be produced by the system.
- Setting up systems using Access/Excel to interface with Donorflex to enable charity to analyse and report information stored, and to import/export data.
Alcatel Lucent, Orange UK, Great Park Road, Bradley Stoke, Bristol
January to 18 September 2009
Role split equally between
- Producing regular reports to Orange UK detailing the performance of Alcatel-Lucent in managing the Network Operations Centre
- Utilising Information from a variety of sources, including Oracle databases, Excel Spreadsheets Business Objects and remedy fault management system.
- Using SQL skills to interface with different applications to manage and analyse data.
- Utilising custom Access databases to manipulate data from these sources, Excel to present graphical presentations and Powerpoint for final distribution to client
- Managing the flow of information from various divisions as required for reporting purposes
- Documenting existing and revised processes
- Developing new procedures utilising perl, advanced Access/Excel and SQL skills to streamline, automate and improve the efficiency of the reporting team and general MIS procedures
- Analysing reporting databases and developing improvements
- Developing applications based on Microsoft applications stack to facilitate throughput of operations for NOC staff
December 2007 - Jan 2009
During a period of inactivity I further developed my skills via free software projects. These are
- EPGRec - skills used - SQLite DB, perl, perl-Gtk2 GUI, DVB streaming technologies
- Burn360 - skills used - perl perl-Gtk2, GUI, various video processing technologies
and an unreleased CRM project utilising LAMP technologies (Linux, Apache, Postgresql DB and perl) as a CGI application with CSS.
NHS SW, Wellspring Road, Taunton
November - December 2007
- Development of CRM in Ms Access, features including multiple roles and activities per contact, group emailing plugged into exchange mailboxes, reporting and analysis functions built-in. This included ability to create targeted lists by activity
- Analysis of Datasets and reporting interface between Office applications and MS SQLServer
Sungard Vivista, Methuen Park, Bath Road, Chippenham
Change Management Support Engineer
March 2007 - 8 June 2007
- Support to application in the Criminal Justice Area.
- Upgrading software and data, fault fixing, applying patches and producing documentation in an ITIL Environment, normally remotely via telnet, SSH and RDP to perform maintenance and upgrading tasks
- The role covers support to Solaris, Windows (XP and Windows 2003) and Oracle.
- Designing Access Databases for workflow management and automation of some processes and reporting and team.
Sanctuary Housing Association, Rydon Lane, Exeter
Access Developer (Contract)
August - 22 December 2006
Developing applications in MS Access for Housing association.
Complaints/feedback tracking application
- This has entailed discussing requirements of the organization, in particular the need for the application to back a legal framework and detailed policy procedures.
- Working with management to provide a scalable and effective application for data collection and monitoring purposes.
- Setting up automated systems for migrating existing data.
- Creating reports identifying issues to be investigated
Automatic generation of reports and letters dependent on stage reached per case
- The application included
- automatic assignment of user rights, management, administration and user, determined by windows login
- automatic and manual generation of email reports, both attachments and within body text. Attachments included excel, word and access formats.
- maintenance scripts to update database.
Customer Tracking application for Insurance broker
- Import customer data from legacy system, with appropriate verification and data cleansing
- analyse data for trends and marketing opportunities
- Created interface for creation of targeted marketing selections, by amongst others, products, age, length of business relationship, spend with company. This allowed criteria to be set by several demographic criteria
- Generating mail and e-mail merge automated procedures based on the above.
Postal Choices Ltd,1 Western Drive, Bristol
January 2006 - 17 March 2006
- Contract assignment working as a database Analyst for a direct Mail agency
- Using SQL skills to develop reporting and analysis methods, normally using a combination of perl/VBA and MS Access.
- Using perl/vba and MS Access to extract and manipulate variable data received into a suitable format
- Developing Access Database for quote management and creation and workflow tracking
Bristol Racial Equality Council Connecting Communities Project
Easton Road, Easton, Bristol
January 2004 - 8 September 2005
- Setup Linux/Windows XP Network from scratch, including file/print serving, Mail/IMAPÂ server and Intranet
- Responsible for System admin including installation of workstations, printers, servers and software. Solving any problems that arise and giving guidance to others
- DBA for PostgreSQL Database - duties included setup, optimising, backup and restore procedures.
- producing financial reports based on analysis of spending, analysing data by activity including demographic data, financial impact and resource required
- Creating a full RDBMS backed Intranet site, utilizing access rights, scripting and presentation of data, with the capability to give users the ability to access all appropriate areas of the site, with persistent login details. The site had a consistent layout with changes in appearance depending on which area people were in, but with consistent branding. The key components were PostgreSQL RDBMS, Linux, Apache Web server and perl
- Responsible for creation of publicity Material using graphical and Desktop publishing tools
Hayes Accountancy Personnel
40 Wheelergate, Nottingham
Various long-term temporary assignments, usually using Data analysis skills to improve functionality of organisation
December 2001 - 14 August 2003
Refugee Housing Association
- Using a mix of Oracle, MSAccess, Business Objects and MSExcel to investigate, update and report to other staff.
- Used MSAccess to crosscheck the setting up of a new First Housing Database with an Oracle Backend, ensuring that all information was accurate and consistent.
- Producing detailed analysis and reports from the same information to inform financial decision making . This included breakdowns of spend by type of property, vacant/occupied properties
- analysing activities by spend, budget, and business requirements, using access or Business Objects as appropriate
- Assisting setting up the Business Objects reporting framework for the Database.
Nottingham City Primary Care Trust
Working as a Data analyst/Information analyst I
- Redeveloped confidential patient information and analysis MS Access application.
- This utilized a normalized MS Access database. As part of this the previous database needed to be discarded and rebuilt from the ground up, taking into account the needs of the NHS and PCT in particular. I ensured that all information remained accurate, ie no loss during migration and cross-checking other data-sources and inhouse experience and knowledge.
- Analysing data for integrity and consistency, correcting any issues that arose
- Created Several Analysis and activity Reports.
- Developing automated reporting and analysis system for secure services. This was developed so that any authorised member of staff could run reports without assistance.
- Analysing data for issues arising, related to the function of the commissioning unit
Quay Housing Recruitment
Elder House, Elder Gate, Central Milton Keynes. MK9 1LR
Temporary assignment as Administrative Manager working for Nottingham City Council
January 2003 - 30 March 2003
- Developing Administrative and management procedures for the efficient running of both the teams and the facilities required including IT resources.
Cyborg Group Ltd
Data Services manager working for a Data Marketing organisation
February 2000 - 31 October 2001
- Systems Administrator/Database Administrator (DBA) for the organisation managing a mix of Microsoft and Linux servers and workstations
- produced targeted selections of data for marketing programmes for customers
- analysed datasets, both held by clients and by Cyborg Group to enable focused marketing campaigns both via mailing and e-shots
- I was responsible for ensuring that the IT system could support an extremely effective data marketing organisation. This included setting up procedures, providing support and maintenance and procurement of equipment
- Creating applications using MS access frontends, normally utilising SQL Server backends, for data input and analysis for clients including Tesco Computers for schools.
- Developing database based procedures to assist clients in a Data marketing environment, these included Tesco and Psion computers
- direct management of 9 staff, functional direction of four others inc identifying weakness, skill gaps and providing support
Adecco Alfred Marks November 1998 to 27 February 2000
Various long term temporary administrative assignments while building my Database and IT skills.
Department of Environment August 1988 - June 1998
Salary on leaving - Â£15500 pa
Departmental Whitley Council Trade Union Side, Zone 1/09, Great Minster House, 76 Marsham Street, London
Assistant Secretary (elected Post) May 1996 - June 1998
- Running administrative side of office, including monitoring of expenditure, provision of office supplies including IT, developing and maintaining Database and computer based office systems.
- Providing information analysis to the Trade Unions to inform negotiations using database and spreadsheets. This encompassed analysis of information both provided and sourced to backup and help to develop negotiations agenda
- Producing publicity material for both Trade Union Side and Individual Unions.
- Negotiating with senior management including arranging meetings, agreeing objectives, and obtaining agreement for minutes and setting agendas.
Administrative Officer November 1995 - May 1996
- Providing administrative support to the Trade Union Side including designing computerised systems for distribution of post, including Mail, and B/F systems
Property Holdings SW and W, Beaufort Court, Woodlands, Bradley Stoke, Bristol
Accounts Clerk October 1991- November 1995
- Designing database systems to obtain Rents and service charges due and to enable and produce financial analysis reporting. Payment of rents and service charges for buildings in North and Mid-Wales occupied by Government Departments using a Unix based system
Planning Inspectorate, Room 1202, Tollgate House, Houlton Street, Bristol.
Public Inquiry arrangements clerk
June 1988 - October 1991
Vehicle Inspectorate, Berkeley House, Easton, Bristol
Casual Administrative assistant May 1988 - June 1988